Soundboard grain angle

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 05 Dec 2001 15:56:42 -0600

>Ron,
>Can you talk a little more about your fan ribbed placement?  Do the rib
>lines fan from a central
>point?  Where is this point located?

Sure. I decide how many ribs I want and their sizes by the size of the
piano, cutoff bar positioning (which I also decide from case shape and
bridge placement (which I also decide)), bearing load analysis, nose bolt
placement, and bridge placement. I decide first and last fan angles and
positioning by bridge placement and case shape, and eyeball everything else
in between - avoiding those nose bolts and accommodating bass bridge
placement. There isn't a vanishing point for the fan, nor is it necessary.
There isn't any one single little detail (except crowning the ribs) that
makes a really big difference. It's the sum of a whole bunch of lesser
things. I rely quite a bit on the bearing load analysis as a first draft,
and adjust from there by what I've learned from past attempts. I learn
something with every one.

Ron N