Soundboard grain angle

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 22:05:37 +0000

At 8:13 PM +0000 12/5/01, Phillip L Ford wrote:

>  >The soundboard is simply a
>  >(more-or-less) two-dimensional, wave-carrying medium.
>
>Oh, Del, now you've done it.  I can hear JD now saying "I thought
>you said that
>waves didn't travel in the soundboard".

You did, Phil, you did :-)  Your ears must be as good as my eyes!
You must come and tune my piano -- by ear of course!

>Bamboo.  As I was looking at it I thought, this would make a good
>piano rim ... grows to harvest size in something like 5
>years....This is just an example, and maybe not a workable one.

That stuff is tremendous.  I have plans for it in my new piano,
though not as the rim.  I imagine the problem would be the bitty
nature of the stuff.  The Chinese would need to see the possibilities
and devise a manufacturing process specially to cope with it.  I'm
sure it will happen.  What Delignit do with beech, the Chinese could
do with bamboo by a completely different process.

JD

PS.  Is it possible to get your MailCity software to send shorter
lines or send unwrapped.  I can read your messages by widening the
window, but when people reply, your lines get chopped up.  It seems
you're sending 95 characters per line.  70 to 73 would be better.  J