Flood Damage Question

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 20:44:14 -0500

Busy days these. Haven't had time to read this wonderful list! Why do so
many piano go out of tune just before Christmas?

Hello all yee 'ole wise ones. I inspected a 1940s era (guess) Estey 4' 6"
(or there abouts - just about pocket size) grand piano for water
damage/insurance claim. The piano was apparently refurbished some time in
the past - it is in good condition. The owner complained of damper troubles.
The bushings need a little ironing. OK, fine.

Here's the question. Room where piano was had the carpet soaked from a
leaking pipe. No water went directly onto the piano (I don't even see any
evidence of the casters being in water. So apparently the piano was exposed
to ultra-high humidity for a few days. Whadda y'all think about potential
damage to things that are not immediately apparent - like glue joints? How
does one handle such things in light of the insurance claim situation?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Terry Farrell