Flood Damage Question

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Wed, 05 Dec 2001 22:41:28 -0600

Terry,
I've looked a bunch of flooded grands and uprights.  Some have up to two feet of
water around them.  It usually takes at least two inches of water on the wood to
cause serious damage.  High humidity in the room for four to 24 hours can break
glue joints and release hammer felt and dampers and rust strings. but it won't
happen instantly.  You have to wait for up to a month and come back to check
that there is really is no damage. Advise your customer not to sign a quit claim
until you see it again.

If you get an upright in a similar situation,  the bottom board will warp toward
the floor and loosen the linkage to the dampers.  A couple of months later you
will have to readjust the linkage because the board will dry out and lift the
dampers off the strings.

With your grand, open the lid and look for mildew and stuff and condensation on
the strings.  Put a box fan on the piano to dry it out. Check the soundboard
ribs at the edges.  Have fun!

Warren

--
Warren Fisher RPT