Flood Damage Question

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 09:07:59 EST

mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Here's the question. Room where piano was had the carpet soaked from a
> leaking pipe. No water went directly onto the piano (I don't even see any
> evidence of the casters being in water. So apparently the piano was exposed
> to ultra-high humidity for a few days. Whadda y'all think about potential
> damage to things that are not immediately apparent - like glue joints? How
> does one handle such things in light of the insurance claim situation?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
>
> Terry Farrell

Allow the piano to dry out for at least a year before the insurance claim is
settled. Preferably with a dehumidifier running in that room, even after the
carpet has been replaced, and everything else seems "normal." Then inspect
the piano again for loose screws, loose ribs, rusty strings, etc.etc.

Wim

PS Pianos don't out of tune any more before Christmas than any other time of
year. Customers just don't pay attention to it until they hear Aunt Maude is
coming for a visit.