Brinsmead Piano

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 06 Dec 2001 16:17:33 0000

John,
Thanks for the overview.  A couple of questions below.

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 11:31:03
 John Delacour wrote:
>Brinsmead's ribs are of soundboard wood and
>in three lengths glued together with the two outer lengths deeper
>than the central length and possibly with the grain differently
>disposed.

Are the three pieces side by side or one on top of the other?

>  My notebook is at the shop but I think the section is
>about 25mm neglecting the 'trough'.

What do you mean by the trough?  The rounding on the bottom of the rib?

> The ribs radiate from a point
>some distance in front of the keyboard -- again not enough time to
>calculate where.

If I understand this correctly then the ribs are closer together at the bellyrail and
getting further apart as you move toward the bass end.  I've never seen such a
thing.  An interesting idea.

>  As to the quality of the "tonewood" -- which we all
>know is a nonsense :-) -- A1 Swiss well quartered and finished very
>bright.

>JD

And which direction does the soundboard grain run?

Phil F