duplex record

Duplexdan@AOL.COM Duplexdan@AOL.COM
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 23:55:27 EST

Ron N,

The Francis Bacon Grand you mentioned intrigued me for a few reasons.
First of all I've never seen one, hence I have no idea what kind of duplex
scale they have. If it's a nineteenth century piano, chances are that the
duplex scale did have merit as all the pianos of that vintage that I have
examined are based on sound harmonic principles.

A second thought occurred to me in response to your "repositioned for some
reason" phrase. Apparently some technician thought that the tone could be
improved by moving the duplex, otherwise why would a tech attempt to move it.
In this case because f your appraisal method does not seem to have included
comparing the pitches of the duplex segments to the speaking length, there's
no way to know if the tech who moved the uplex was successful or not. And
with the condition of the tuning as bad as it was, according to your report,
any work on the duplex would be premature and most probably inexact. To work
on duplex tuning, at least in my experience, the piano must be up to pitch
and relatively stable.

As far as doing it "every day" is concerned, a price of a duplex tuning could
be anywhere from $250 to $500. I could use one of them every day.

PS. Would it be possible to get a picture of the duplex scale system? I would
like to try to analyze it to include it in my updated Duplex Scale Field
Manual Guide.

Thank You

Dan Franklin
Duplexdan@AOL.com