double-wound strings

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 11:06:34 +1100

Cyde, Ron N and all,

>  >I posted this question a couple days ago and got no helpful answers.
>>While tuning a 1956 Baldwin F grand piano I noticed it had no
>>double-wound strings.  Single-wound strings the whole way to the
>>bottom.  How common is this?  I haven't noticed it before.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Clyde
>
>Doesn't the S&S M have all single wound strings? I spec double wound on all
>monochords with rescaling. I like them to be able to flex.
>
>Ron N

Indeed Ron, there's nothing like reducing a 1.4 mm typical lowest
note core wire (on say a 185 cm grand) down to 2.25 mm and double
covering it, often with more copper mass to further lower
inharmonicity and and improve what I would describe as an 'openness'
of tone (on that same 185 cm grand). It will also move the % break up
to improve tuning stability of a bass singles. Furthermore, the
smaller core wire will make the back scale act as if its longer, on
account of the reduced stiffness of the back scale wire segment. This
can be a real plus when working on short pianos with a 100 mm back
scale bass.

  Even when rescaling a D, we reduce the 1.7 mm diameter core to 1.5
mm and increase the copper mass somewhat, the tone is to more
pleasing to my ear.

I suspect a great majority of manufacturers choose to single cover
the singles for cost savings.

Ron O.
--
Overs Pianos