FEM & Modal Analysis (was soundboard vs string)

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Sun, 09 Dec 2001 16:25:08 0000

On Sat, 08 Dec 2001 23:53:11
 Stephen Birkett wrote:

>As Del says, you can do it experimentally, and this is the modal analysis
>method (or equivalent). You basically drive a board (modulo all the
>various limitations discussed here about loading vs not etc) and observe
>the mode frequencies.  The other way is to model the system itself
>mathematically (e.g. FEM analysis, or more sophisticated techniques),

To what sophisticated techniques are you referring?

>obtain real parameters from experimental observation, and calculate the
>predicted response of the board (requires sophisticated computer program,
>not beer mats). This technique, apart from being more elegant than modal
>analysis, allows the critical design-related factors, viz. a casual
>relationship between board (and other) parameters and the response.

I hate casual relationships between parameters and responses.
I prefer them to be serious.

>So you
>can adjust parameters and see what the effect is on the response, without
>having to make an experimental board etc. This you cannot do with modal
>analysis. The modelling approach iss the sophisticated approach. [To some
>extent modal analysis can be useful too, to calibrate your modelby
>providing experimental data.]
>

>Stephen

The modeling approach is perhaps the sophisticated approach
and certainly the cheap approach.  In my experience, with a
complicated structure, it's also not the highly accurate
approach.  It does work very well for studying design
parameters, as you say.  But in the end, if I needed a
specific response I would still want to build a physical
representation and do the modal analysis.  I would then
probably find it doesn't exactly match my model and would
then tweak it (using the causal relationships from the
model mentioned above).  So a combination of the two would
probably get you where you want to go, with most of the
work being done with FEM.

Phil F

---
Phillip Ford