Promotional items: Was "calendars"

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 09 Dec 2001 16:48:36 -0600

>  But how would you feel if your piano tuner left you a pocket knife on
the piano?

>Tom Sivak

If it was a Buck or Case and not some cheap trash I'd be really impressed,
but that's coming from someone with an edge fetish so I could see that
others might not be as enthusiastic about it. I would wonder why the guy
who did the work didn't think his work was good enough on it's own merit
that it needed a boost from an advertising giveaway. Maybe I'm weird, but I
don't care to have someone I've already hired try to sell me the service
I'm already using by giving me some useless thing I've apparently already
bought as part of the service. I'm vastly more impressed with a good job
from an actual human being, and that's rare enough that I don't need a
refrigerator magnet to remember him or her. The guy that services my
furnace is GOLD. He charges a little more per hour than I do, his invoices
accurately reflect the time he has in the job, he is good at what he does,
and he'll explain things to me like we're equals. I don't have to fix his
work when he's done like I have with too many other service people, and
that impresses me. I intend to keep calling him for service until one of us
dies (maybe even after), and I sincerely hope he doesn't think he has to
send me a calender to keep my business. In his case, I wouldn't think less
of him if he did, because his skills and integrity are what I'm interested
in and I can overlook the promotional stuff. I'd sure like to think my
customers hire me for similar reasons. I know it can't be for the lame
jokes. At least I hope not or I'm in big trouble.

Ron N