[FWD] Piano wire quality

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 00:12:42 +0000

I copy to the list a reply to a message Dale Erwin sent and which
should have gone to the list as well as to me, but Dale made a typo
in the ptg address.

At 2:48 AM -0500 12/9/01, Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:
>                 JD
>
>              I was wondering your opinion on the quality of music
>wire and how that has changed over time. Also I'd like to know the
>specific differences and if those can be analyzed why can't we
>prevail on some maker to manufacture it.

When I started in the trade we had a choice.  There was English wire,
which was very well polished but far too brittle and probably bad in
all sorts of ways -- at any rate it was impossible to twist eyes on
it because they just snapped.  I never used English wire.  Some
suppliers still had a small stock of Poehlmann wire but really he
coice was between Giese and Röslau  either plated or polished.  I
hate plated wire and have never used it, but I used Giese in
preference to Röslau because it was much better polished and had
better colour.

>        The reason I ask is that I, m curious to know if you have any
>recommendations or favorite wire. The frustration is that sometimes
>we (I) as rebuilders will change music wire on say a very well
>preserved stwy,Mason or whatever and find that the quality of the
>plain wire doesn't really sound as lively and tonally satisfying as
>the stuff just taken off.

Yes.  Already when I began in trade, Poehlmann had folded, absorbed
by Röslau I believe, but I have no details.  I was very frustrated
when a few years later, Giese folded, giving Röslau the monopoly.
According to my friend Richard Gardner, who is 10 years older than me
and was apprenticed to Steinway London long ago (a very good
rebuilder and technician), Röslau, probably just about this time,
thought they could save some money by stopping making the proper
piano-wire alloy and use the same slloy that they use for
ploughshares.  It was simply too much trouble to make small
quantities (nowadays) of the special steel.

When I was forced to change to Röslau, I noticed the difference
straight away.  This was before I made bass strings.  The wire was
not well polished and often I had to through a coil out because it
was grey or black or pitted or of bad consistency.  The plain wire
never looked the same as with the Giese; it has a cheap tinselly look
with not enough nickel colour.

>  Also Often I have found Many scales set at tensions that Most bass
>and string scale designers will say is to high but nevertheless here
>is this piano 80 years later with the string scale that wasn't
>supposed to survive and it has anyway and flying in the face of the
>wisdom of this present day.

I told the story of the first set of bass strings I made -- a set of
Blüthner Style 7  (like yours) for two different customers.  From the
beginning I had my Multiplan spreadsheet to do the calculations, but
I had no experience and was using breaking strain lists for Giese
wire.  Besides, I was not sure of the exact percentage of strain that
I should use as a maximum.  Of course, it was my first commercial
stringmaking work and I wanted to make an impression.  The tensions
of the original scale seemed OK and I was very familiar with this
model, so I stuck as close as possible to the original scaling
principles, presuming that Blüthner knew what he was at.  The two top
singles broke in both sets.  Blüthner had used Poehlmann wire, as did
all the best German makers except for Steinway, who used an inferior
American wire.

Read Dolge and look at the breaking strains Poehlmann achieved in the
grand age in competition with all the others.  The figures are
astounding!  Makers were demanding this, because there was a feeling
that since higher tensions had so far led to a steady rise in the
quality of piano tone, the higher it was, the better the tone.  Not
every maker believed this and we find no excessive tension on
Bechstein (a "sensible" scaler) or Lipp, who to my mind was the very
best.  On the other hand Schiedmayer and many of the eastern makers
used the increased strength of the moden wire to build very high
tensions into some or all of the scale.  I keep a Schiedmayer
triple-covered string as a souvenir; it is over 11 mm thick!  The set
I made to replace that set, even after my mods, weighed 4.75
kilograms.

I find that in the end -- after 80 years or so of normal use -- even
these Poehlmann strings will break when excessive tensions were
designed, but Röslau equivalents will break before they come to pitch
at the first chipping up.

>  I once installed at set of Bass strings on 20's stwy L and was
>displeased with the sound on notes 24.25, &26. I had measured the
>diameters and the new ones were not so. The string maker stated that
>the tension on those notes were at 70% of breaking strength so they
>were scaled back. I had him make the original tension replacements
>and installed them and success. That was 8 years ago and there
>sounding great and have not broken

70% is my maximum and I would use it only for the thinnest covered
strings on some pianos.  Your man was right and I do the same with
the top bichords of most Steinway models, not to speak of Yamaha,
whose scales are awful.

>  The sound I'm describing in plain wire is a free well balanced
>sound that is easily set in motion with a light pluck. That is
>subjective I know but that's my computer description.

Yes, I know just what you mean.  I have a 1912 Lipp upright beside me
with the original strings and pins (tight as you like) and you only
need to touch the strings to get a lovely pure sound.

Two years ago I was invited to teach for two weeks in a college in
Norway, and there I discovered some packets of a wire I had not heard
of, though they were using Röslau by then.  I looked at it and it had
a good polish and a good feel.  I began to run down my stock of
Röslau and finally sent a large order to this other firm in Germany.
I use this wire now for all plain wire strings and most covered
strings.  Unfortunately the sizes from 23 upwards are a bit too hard
for eyes and will break when twisted, so I am forced to use Röslau
for some low notes.

I prefer the new wire, but it is not Poehlmann and never will be.  I
have spoken to a very old English maker about analysing and
remanufacturing Poehlmann wire and he was quite interested in the
idea, but other things took precedence and I have not pursued the
matter.  As you say, it is possible to analyse the alloy, but that is
only a part of the solution.  How the wire is drawn and annealed is
just as critical, and a lot of research would be needed to retrieve
the lost art of Poehlmann.

I have no experience of Japanese or American wire.  I would not be
surprised if the Japanese eventually produce a wire that is better,
as they already produce better pianos than the Germans in my opinion
(NOT Yamaha!).

All the best,

John