Temperament, A pianist responds

Sun, 9 Dec 2001 16:47:13 -0800

Well I'm impressed by how much time was spent on this argument.  My only
comment is that I think Beethoven considered many of his Sonatas
orchestrally, a place where temperament has little meaning.  Moreover, since
Beethoven had perfect pitch, a change in keys carried its own meaning and
probably didn't need that added "character" created by WT.  But I don't
really have that much invested in this argument.  If you prefer WT then by
all means use it.  I just tuned a WT the other day for a customer who
prefers it.  I made no disparaging remarks, nor did I try to convince her of
the merits of ET.  We will never really know if Beethoven chose certain keys
because of the temperaments of his day.  He didn't write about it, at least
to my knowledge.  He does, however, cite the characteristics of different
keys. Perhaps it is no coincidence that, for example, certain Pastoral
pieces are written in F and D--non key board pieces included.  I have talked
with many artists (pianists and non pianists) with perfect pitch and many
report that certain keys have certain characters.  They, to my knowledge,
are not responding to WT's.  I think that to take a piece such as Opus 90,
and after the fact make an argument about how WT works and use that as a
basis for arguing that that was the motivation for choosing the key is not
in keeping with the scientific method.  Pulling out my quote about "a waste
of time" misses the point of the comment (which I agree I may not have
clearly stated).  The comment had to do with arguing about which is
"better", ET or WT.  It is a subjective argument which will have as many
answers are there are tastes.

Good luck with your quest , I personally think this discussion has been
exhausted.

David Love