Promotional items: Was "calendars"

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:38:13 EST

In a message dated 12/10/01 1:24:32 PM !!!First Boot!!!, Tvak@AOL.COM writes:

> After I send a reminder card to a client, I have often heard the following
> response: "I'm so glad you sent me that card because I couldn't find your
> phone number anywhere" or "I just couldn't remember your name."  I do
> everything I can, short of writing my own name in their Rolodex, to help
> them
> find me again.  Before I leave their house, I always tell them that I've
> put
> my business card in the bench, and I also give them the pen.  It's another
> way for them to find me again.  True, ff these people lived in Dade County,
> they would have voted for Buchanan, but I still want their repeat business.
>
> It has nothing to do with any lack of confidence in my work.  (I certainly
> hope they don't perceive my leaving the pen as you did...)

If these customers are happy to have you send them a card, then why spend
extra money on promotional items?

Keeping your name in front of your customer is very important. A promotional
item is a good way to do that. But even more important is a post card
reminder that a piano should be tuned twice a year. This is what my post card
tells them: "According to the National Association of Piano Manufacturers,
(this gives credibility, not just my opinion), pianos should be tuned twice a
year. Tuning will assure your piano will continue to maintain its value and
sound its best. Above your name on the mailing label is the month and year
your piano was last tuned. If it has been more than six month, it is time to
have it done again. Please call for an appointment. (Then my name and phone
number and e-mail address.)

I send out reminder cards once a year, (or every six months if the customer
requests it), for 4 years. About half of the 1st year customers call me
within 3 months after receiving the post card. I get about a 15 - 20%
response from customers for whom it has been 2 years. The return I get from
the 3rd and 4th year customers has been worth doing it, usually about 5%. By
sending out post cards it is also was a way to purge my data base of any
customer who have moved. I even got phone calls or notes from customer who
had sold their piano.

Wim