double-wound strings

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:12:17 -0800 (PST)

--- John Delacour <JD@Pianomaker.co.uk> wrote:
> At 6:54 PM -0800 12/8/01, Stephen Airy wrote:
> >What do you think is better in a piano with a 142cm
> >speaking length on low A?  Singles all the way
> >through, or doubles from notes 1 to 10 and singles
> >(bichords) from 11 to 27, like the piano I'm
> talking
> >about is now?
>

> I've taken the bridge shape (string lengths) of an
> old 6"6" Bechstein
> as a basis for Sample Scale 1, added notes 26 and 27
> and put the
> break after note 10, as on your piano.  Your bridge
> could easily be
> very different, but the question is about the low
> bass, so it is
> probably be somewhat similar.  Sample Scale 2 is a
> scale with similar
> targets but with a different bridge shape.
>
> As it is, you probably have on note A1 a No. 25 core
> with a 200 - 210
> cover, the thickest normally used (Steinway go up to
> 220 but I can't
> get it because nobody asks for it).  This will give
> you a tension
> roughly between 200 and 220 lbf with a strain left
> or right of 35%,
> which is low.  On most pianos these bottom notes
> will not sound too
> good.

I'm not sure what mine is, but it sounds fairly good
to me.  (It's quite a lot better than my mom's 5-foot
premie(sp?) baby grand and way better than some
friends' spinets, but not quite as nice as a 9-foot
baby grand.

> Practical considerations prevent the spinning of a
> 210 cover on say a
> 22 core.  It is just about possible, but noone would
> want to do it,
> so a 25 core is used mainly just to avoid breakages
> and the waste of
> a lot of copper as a result.  There is also the
> question of the ratio
> of core to cover to consider;  Too large a ratio
> will result in a
> string that vibrates in a peculiar way, giving rise
> to discordant
> partials.  This 25/210 string will be pretty stiff
> at this length.
>
> I can't guess what your piano is, but it's probably
> American.

It's "Ricca & Son" - New York.

> I have
> just begun work on a 6'6" piano with 140 cm for A1,
> ten singles and
> 16 bichords.  All the singles on this piano are
> double-covered, as
> opposed to the Bechstein which has all s/c like
> yours and a break at
> A13.

My monochords are all double-covered.  Oh, by the way,
it's a 56" upright.

> I would prefer the break at 12 or 13 on these
> pianos in order
> to get a better transition.  Very old pianos with
> the transition too
> low very often have a disproportionately rough sort
> of trombone
> quality about the lowest bichords.

My piano has some room for improvement in the tone
from F1 to G#1, around where the break is (F1 & F#1
being monochords and G1 and G#1 being bichords), and
other spots as well.