FEM & Modal Analysis

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 20:17:10 0000

On Sun, 09 Dec 2001 22:42:57
 Stephen Birkett wrote:
>Check out:
>
>  www.fortepianos.com/proposal.html
>
>Section B.1.3 is brief description of technical background for the
>proposed approach (also see references B.3.2 - Savage) to modelling the
>soundboard system. A complete acoustic model would involve the work
>described in section 5.2.

I will.  Thanks.

>> The modeling approach is perhaps the sophisticated approach
>> and certainly the cheap approach.
>
>Sophisticated, yes. Cheap, no.

Relatively speaking.  Probably still a lot cheaper than building 500 pianos to test
to determine tonal effects of design changes.

>> In my experience, with a  complicated structure, it's also not the
>> highly accurate approach.
>
>Depends on how it's done. There are a lot of bad, useless models out
>there. Modelling, and particularly applied modelling, is a delicate art.

>Stephen

Granted.  And when you account for the fact that you have to make some assumptions
about internal damping in the wood (of which every piece is different), structural
properties of the wood (of which every piece is different and orthotropic as well),
prestresses in the structure due to various things, flexibility of the
glue joints holding things together, nonlinear string loading as the board moves
around, etc., one might more correctly describe it as a black art.

Phil F