double-wound strings

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 23:33:41 +0000

At 2:02 PM -0800 12/10/01, Stephen Airy wrote:

>What upright do you have?

I have quite a few, but the ones I shan't sell are are two Lipps and
a Brinsmead -- and maybe a Schiedmayer.

>Also, do you know what the scale is on the Baldwin
>6000?  I'm curious to see what notes are on the bass
>bridge, what notes are single string, double string,
>etc...

No idea.  Baldwins don't sell here.  Can't you measure it?

>I've twisted all my bass strings, and many of my
>double-covered strings sound fairly nice, although
>there are still a few somewhat tubby ones.

Mmm.  New strings should be twisted; old strings should be renewed.
Twisting a string that has gone dull either simply masks the dullness
and introduces all sorts of odd noises or else kills the string dead.

JD