agraffes on - agraffes off

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:05:09 -0600

Hi all,

I've been reading about installing agraffes, and the need for shims of
varying thicknesses, so I thought I'd ask some questions and offer some
observations.

First off, a half turn of an agraffe is 0.5/32, or 0.015625" in height
difference. As was pointed out, 0.010" shims aren't of much use. What I'm
curious about is why anyone is using shims for alignment at all. I've found
that from a pile of agraffes of about twice the number that you need of any
given size, you can nearly always find one for each hole that will line up
within tolerance to tighten down to final alignment without any shims at
all. You just have to keep trying agraffes in each plate hole until you
find the right one, and you can do that without having to crank each and
every one all the way down and all the way back out when it doesn't line up
correctly. Cut a piece of round bar stock the same diameter (or a very
little bit smaller) to the length of the agraffe shank. It can be brass or
steel, it shouldn't matter except brass is easier to work. Drill
(accurately) through the center to a size a few thousandths larger than the
outside shank diameter, making what amounts to a centered thick sleeve that
slips over the shank. Chuck it in a lathe or drill press and face off both
ends clean and square and, by trial and error, just long enough that a test
agraffe screwed in and bottomed out in a plate hole will line up at the
same angle with and without the spacer sleeve on the shank. You will have
cut the sleeve so that you will only have to turn the agraffe in a couple
of turns instead of 763 to discover how the alignment falls. The sleeve
will be very close to some multiple of 1/72", since the front of an agraffe
looks very like the back. You can sort and install a set of new in less
time than you thought possible with nary a shim.

Or are you using shims for height adjustment, and are you critical of a
0.010" difference especially when it messes up your alignment and sends you
back to the pile for a different agraffe?

How can you use shims for both alignment and height control unless you make
them individually? I know Ron O and JD both had really slick (at least I
thought so) methods of making the proper thickness shims for alignment, but
where does that leave you with height?

I wondered about this because I don't tend to worry a lot about height
unless the difference is obnoxious, judged by eyeball with a straightedge
instead of by more sophisticated means. How do the rest of you folks do
this stuff without having more than one birthday during the job?

PS: I bet Joe Garrett could have used one of these one day some years back.

Ron N