Polyurethane Finishes on pianos

Mon, 10 Dec 2001 21:52:24 -0500

Hi Rob -

I have refinished several pianos in water-based polyurethane with very
good results.  I have not used solvent-based polys for spraying, so I
can't speak to that.   I elected to use poly in a few cases where there
were several kids in the family, all young, in anticipation of the
inevitable barrage of warfare that would severely test the surface of the
finish.

To me, all finishes have their plusses and minuses, and the biggest
drawback to the polys is that they are more difficult to rub out
properly.  Not impossible, to be sure, but CERTAINLY more grueling than
the lacquers -either water-based or nitrocellulose.  I normally prefer a
finish that is less "bulletproof", and assume that the owners will treat
the finish with a modicum amount of care.  The benefits are a much more
elegant rubbed finish with much less tedium.  If you have ever rubbed out
a finish you know what I mean!

I would not equate polyurethane with polyester, though, and if I was
going to do an ebony job in poly, I would purchase black poly, not add
the colorant to the clear poly myself.  Also, as with all finishes that
are to be sprayed, you need decent spray equipment to do a decent job.

Whether or not it would last 50 years would depend on the level of care
and abuse it receives, as with all finishes.

I would strongly recommend spraying a few test panels to see if you like
the results, before embarking on an entire piano.  Perhaps it is
available in quarts for you to take a test drive?

Might be a few hours very well spent....

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com