Temperament, A pianist responds

Paul N. Bailey 103445.713@compuserve.com
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 00:09:40 -0500

Richard and everbyody who is interested:

Regarding JS Bach's WTC and whether he was practicing and advocating
a particular temperament:

Dr. Herbert Anton Kellner has done some remarkable research into the
Keyboard music of JS Bach and offers us a bearing plan for a specific
temperament which is embedded in the WTC and other keyboard works.

Check it out at Dr. Kellners web site.(I don't have the address at hand,
but I assure you any search engine will lead you there promptly if you
start by asking for H A Kellner or welltemperament)

                        Paul Bailey
                        Modesto CA

Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 00:31:11 -0600
From: "Richard Moody" <remoody@midstatesd.net>
Subject: Re: Temperament, A pianist responds

- ----- Original Message -----
From: David Love <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2001 6:47 PM

.  We will never really know if Beethoven chose certain keys
| because of the temperaments of his day.  He didn't write about it, at
least
| to my knowledge.

This is the problem with justifying "historical temperaments" for certain
music, or key signatures of certain periods.*****The most striking example
is
Bach's WTC.  You would think he would have made some reference to what
temperament he had in mind. This must be checked out by musicologists or
music historians.*******