agraffes on - agraffes off

Barrie Heaton piano@a440.co.uk
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 08:47:59 +0000

In message <ANCKKGENKCMEEAAA@mailcity.com>, Phillip L Ford
<fordpiano@lycos.com> writes

>On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:05:09
> Ron Nossaman wrote:
>
>>How can you use shims for both alignment and height control unless you make
>>them individually? I know Ron O and JD both had really slick (at least I
>>thought so) methods of making the proper thickness shims for alignment, but
>>where does that leave you with height?
>
>>Ron N

Hi Ron,

I use them for alignment the most washers I have ever took off when
removing a set was a S&S with  42 most were in the mid section.

>Why not just
>drill through the plate flange and have an agraffe with a shank long
>enough to accept
>a nut on the other side of the flange?  No removing and reinstalling.  All
>the agraffes

Hi Phillip

Price  for one, room under the plate, some action are a snug fit as is -
Also, nuts come loos the agraffes stay put because of the strings.

As to an alternative to paper washers under the keys   Lindna did it
back in the 60s all done with screws  under the keybed on uprights, but
again cost you would need a high pitch screw to achieve the same results
as a fine paper washer.  The way lindna did it was not very accurate the
front touch could be don that way but again we are stuck when it comes
to Grands the key bed would have to be thicker to accommodate the up and
down of the screw.

Barrie,
--
Barrie Heaton      PGP key on request           http://www.a440.co.uk/