Key Bushings & Hot Hide Glue

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:15:11 -0500

Just reporting in following my first key bushing job and use of hot hide
glue! Just started yesterday installing the first few keys (testing for felt
punching thickness, new action regulation, etc.). WOW! I used the Bill
Spurlock method and materials to do the bushings. Wowie Zowie! These keys
fit perfectly.

I had several key bushing jobs done locally, with ho-hum results - bushings
too tight (needed MAJOR easing) and little wings hanging off the key bottom
causing irregular dip characteristics (needed a lot of trimming, etc.). My
first job is much better that the other subcontracted work. If I can do a
good job on my first set, ANYONE can do a great job.

This was also my first use of hot hide glue. What wonderful hot, gooey,
sticky stuff! My shop mutt loves it too! It was very easy to use in this
application and I see how it sets up real quick into a sticky coating and
does not soak into the felt. Every felt insertion was total sucess. I made a
couple bushings too deep in the hole, so I took them out about 20 or 30
minutes later - let me tell you, those bushings are in there forever - or at
least until someone leaves the piano out in the rain.

I used the Spurlock key sizing cauls prior to bushing - I can see how these
do a marvelous job producing correct and consistent sized bushing openings.
I think I'll be doing all my own key bushings from now on. I can't really
understand how some techs can do a good job and only charge $200 (including
polishing key pins). I realize my time will improve damatically with
experience, but to do all the work involved to get clean, consistently
correct sized bushings will certainly take more than four hours.

Oh, and one thing I found that worked better than what Bill Spurlock
recommends in his Key Bushing pamphlet. He suggests cutting the bushing
material with his razor knife right after inserting the sizing caul. I tried
that but found that I was pulling the felt bushing quite a bit - then I
tried my rotary felt cutter - that cut it real clean with NO pulling - so
the felt bushing stayed exactly where I first put it (now if I could only
learn how to put in in properly in the first place!!!).

The Happy Key Busher
Terry Farrell