Piano Finishes

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:48:09 -0800

All,
IMHO, the finish is there for a very real purpose: to retard the passage of
temp/humid, readily into the wood of the case/piano. The reason the "piano
finish" was developed was with this reason in mind. The "piano finish" is
the best within the "furniture" industry. Having said all that, I maintain
that the finish needs to be something more than an Oil finish. I use Tung
oil on my very expensive "Main Bench" and it serves me well, as it helps
keep glue drips from sticking to the surface and can be rejuvenated from
time to time. The rejuvenation process is the clue of why you should not use
it for a piano finish. The process of Rejuvenation: Vigorously scrub with
hot soapy water and scouring pad. Dry thoroughly, let set for 48 hours.
Recoat with several lite coats of Tung Oil, wiping excess off after each
application. After final coat, let set for 48hours before use.
Well, there it is. You make the decision. IMHO Lacquer or Varnish are the
only "proper" finishes. I wouldn't consider the Polyester finishes, because
that stuff is extremely Carcinogenic when it's in a liquid state. (according
to EPA)
Regard,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)