Sensible key leveling (was agraffes on - agraffes off)

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 06:09:51 0000

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001 00:37:09
 John Delacour wrote:

>>  >>   This belongs up on the museum shelf right next to the process of
>>>
>>>...the need for which practice is also eliminated in my keyboard design.
>>
>>Now that I would like to see.
>
>This invention is also something I don't want to disclose at the
>moment, though it's an idea I would probably find at the patent
>office if I looked hard enough because it's hard to think that nobody
>else has ever thought of it.

I've had a few ideas along this line.  When I looked
into American patents I found that other people had
had the same idea.  I suppose it's not surprising that
there have been several ideas for dealing with this
issue.  What is surprising to me is that none of these
ideas has won out over the age old practice of using
paper punchings.  The common reason that is given is
'the cost' of other systems.  Perhaps that was true in
1900 when labor was cheap.  In 2001, when labor is not
cheap, it would seem that some additional cost in a key
leveling system would easily pay for itself if it meant
reduced labor in the manufacturing and assembly process.

> It's amazing what you come across at
>the Patent Office if you're prepared to spend the time having the
>stuff brought up from the vaults.

I agree.  I'm not knowledgeable about British patents
but there are some very interesting things in American
patents.  So I would assume there must be some good things
in English and French patents having to do with pianos.

> I was there a couple of weeks ago
>looking up various things and was particularly interested to see
>Stodart's patent for the Grand Action, which is the predecessor of
>all English actions.  It's also the first time the word Grand was
>used for the pianoforte

>JD

I've often wondered where this term came from.  Based on
my knowledge of what this type of piano is called in other
languages I think we're the only ones who use such a term.
In other languages it seems to be based on the shape or
orientation.  Horizontal piano, tail piano, wing piano.
I do like the german designation of a wing piano.  I think
it's a striking image.

Phil F