Steinway L action problem

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 05:52:25 EST

Tom writes:
<<I'm be soon evaluating a three year old Steinway L, >>describes the action
as  VERY  difficult to play. The Steinway dealer has arranged for several
visits by some very qualified techs representing both the dealer and the
manufacturer.  >>

   There are 4 major causes for this response that I have seen.  First will
be the pinning of the hammershank flanges.  The factory says to apply alcohol
and wait a day. I didn't find that to work, so I now repin them.  The second
may be excessively strong springs.  The third is often a keyframe that is
floating on air over major areas of the keybed.  Fourth is tight keybushings.
   Pay particular attention to the sound,  It may just need a lot more
lacquer and you can count on string leveling to be non-existant.
Good luck,
Ed