Just Say "No", was: termites/moths/vermin?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 07:56:03 -0500

Hi Terry. Wim has a good point here. I think the bottom line is just be real
careful, and avoid these situations as much as possible. I'm learning about
this the hard way also. This Thursday I have an appointment with a little
eastern European cupid doll. I replaced/reglued about 20 ivory pieces that
were missing from her keyboard. I told her that the keyboard was in really
bad shape and recommended complete replacement of the keytops. It was
obvious that previous repairs had been made - someone glued the thin ivory
down to the wooden key and you can see the dark wood through the ivory on
these repairs - looks horrible. The keys I repaired at least are whitish -
they look a lot better than the others. Anyway I told her that I would
simply reattach the ivory on the keys that it had fallen off of. I would not
be restoring the ivory in any other way. I would not be fixing the previous
poor repairs. I even buffed the set at no charge - that helped a bit.

I put that keyboard into her piano about a month ago. Now she calls and says
"some of the keys are brown - you need to come and look what I mean - you
need to fix the ivory". So I think I know what is coming  - no matter how
well I explained that her ivory was not salvagable, and that I would only
fix the few that were falling off, and that the result would be spotty -
different colors, etc. - in appearance, I just know that she is not happy
now because her ivory keyboard does not look like new.

We'll see what happens. I'll report back. But I think that I am learning
that you just have to say "NO" to some repairs. (I was especially reluctant
to say no in this situation because I believe she is serious about
completely rebuilding the piano at some point in the future - and I cannot
afford to loose a potential job like that at this point - or maybe I can,
Hmmmmm?)

Terry Farrell