Key Bushings & Hot Hide Glue

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 08:39:24 -0500

My little hot pot on cost $11 and it has a nice lid that keeps the =
moisture in so that the glue does not skim over. It is wider also, so =
less chance of tipping over. Joe Garrett has informed me that keeping =
the glue between 130 F and 150 F should be just fine. My 140 F should =
work quite well then.

The supply house pots are just so expensive. I'm sure they work fine =
also. The ugly truth is that three years ago I bought one, used it once, =
and decided that I would never use hot hide glue again. I looked for it =
the other day when about to start glueing key bushings, and could not =
find it. So WalMart there I went. I'll keep my eyes open around the =
homestead for my old glue pot though. I did not realize you could adjust =
them.

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Howard F Jackson=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 8:08 AM
  Subject: Re: Key Bushings & Hot Hide Glue

  Terry,
  You just going around the world to get across the street.  Just order =
a glue pot from Schaff or your favorite supply house.  Buy a candy/deep =
fry thermometer to check.   If needed, remove a few screws and the pot =
housing opens up and can be calibrated with a turn of a screw.  I've had =
my pot 25 yrs or so and adjusted it once after it fell off the work =
bench. =20
  Howard=20

  On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 21:46:21 -0500 "Farrell" =