Gadgets?

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 00:08:10 -0500

Patrick,

I've been using the Weller Portasol PK-1 for several years and don't know
how I would get by without it in the field case.  Of course I still keep the
heat gun for shopwork but the little butane kit works wonders.  I also do
some electronic work so the soldering iron is of great use and the hot knife
is great for removing keybushings that were installed with the white
thermoset glue used by several of the factories.  I've found the hot air tip
to be of limited if any use in piano work but the little torch tip is
perfect for heating damper wires, burning shanks, heating a drywall screw
for broken shank removal and a multitude of other applications. The flame is
a little weak for heating a hammer iron but I picked up a second butane
torch at Home Depot (or someplace like that for about $5 that works well for
some minor band instrument soldering and heating the aforementioned hammer
iron as well as burn in knives.  I know that many folks prefer the electric
hammer irons and such but the butane is very portable and fast for my work.

Refilling just uses the bulk butane cartridges available in any hardware or
home store so they're very cheap to run.  In short, worth every penny in my
estimation.

Hope this helps.

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT