Temperament, A pianist responds

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 01:37:21 -0500

David wrote:
 > The example that comes to mind is of a low Eb that appears even though
 > his piano ended at low E.  I don't recall the piece exactly and will
 > have to look it up, maybe op. 7 or op. 81a.  But there are several
 > other places where octave passages are modified to sixths because the
 > octaves would have extended beyond the boundaries of the keyboard.

I have an example: Beethoven Sonata Op 31 No. 2, first movement. Compare
the passage in measures 57-63 with the passage in measures 187-193,
which is the same passage transposed to a higher key. However, if it
were transposed exactly, the upper notes would be higher than the
highest note on Beethoven's piano, so he just kept the top note of what
should be octaves fixed at D and let the lower note carry the tune, if
you will.

What does this prove? Nothing really. But you can look at it two
different ways:

On the one hand, you could say that he really wanted this to be written
for a keyboard with a modern range (range of notes, that is). If he had
a modern keyboard, he would have transposed the passage exactly. (If it
were Chopin, however, I'd say he deliberately made the transposed
version of the passage different to make it sound more improvisational.
But I think Beethoven was a little more scientific about those kinds of
things.) But since he didn't have a modern piano, the piece had to be
compromised. So the real piece, in the abstract, has notes that didn't
exist on the piano in his time, but the piece that was actually
published is a compromise. Thus, performers can change the notes to fit
with what Beethoven wanted.

On the other hand, you could say that clearly the keyboard that was
available in his time affected his composition. Since he was aware of
any limitations that might occur, he probably INTENDED to be limited by
the keyboard range in that particular passage, because it creates a
really interesting effect with lots of tension.

The two ways of looking at it are analogous to the ET vs WT viewpoints,
but it doesn't seem you can prove one from the other. I have to take a
middle-of-the-road stance here: I haven't ordered my flame suit from
Schaff yet. :)

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc.