Cordier temperament

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 07:41:02 -0500

Iņaki,

The Cordier temperament is supposedly a temperament of all pure 5ths, which
makes it a variant of equal temperament (with very aggressively stretched
octaves).  This temperament cannot be defined by offsets from equal
temperament because all the offsets would be zero.  You cannot tune this
temperament by setting a "central scale" (by which I assume you mean a
temperament octave) and then tuning normal octaves from there.  Instead,
you have to continue to tune the temperament all the way up and down the
piano by tuning pure 5ths.  I assume this comes very close to the perfect
5th's temperament popularized by Jim Coleman, Sr.

-Robert Scott
  Detroit/Windsor Chapter

Iņaki Coello wrote:

Anybody tested the Cordier temperament? I have readed about it but I donīt
know the result. Anyboy of you tried and can give me your opinion?
And more: how can you do the central scale for this temperament?
It is in one book called "piano bien tempere et justesse orchestrale" by
Serge Cordier
<<<<