Temperament, A pianist responds

Thu, 13 Dec 2001 22:11:11 +0100

Tvak@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 12/13/01 5:12:26 AM, A440A@AOL.COM writes:
>
> << Being sensitive to temperament is a learned skill.  And the only ones that
> are going to be teaching it are the technicians. >>
>
> A technician I work with told me a story. ........snip

> He told me it was his privilege to tune a piano for a concert held at a PTG
> convention about 10 years ago.  He tuned it in an HT, but which one he didn't
> tell me.  After the concert, (the audience of course consisting exclusively
> of tuners) he received many compliments on the fine tuning,  but no one made
> mention of the fact that it was not ET.  Seemingly, no one noticed.
>
> Therefore, he thought it would be a waste of time to tune the two identical
> pianos in different temperaments.

By the same token and logic... it doesnt really matter what one tunes...
organized temperament or simply random jirble.... as long as its close enough to
what people listening to it can accept... hey.. its ok.

But we dont operate that way... do we ?   Another question I have with his
response is where is the presence of simple curiosity ? One PTG concert
convention where an audience is a bit removed and not schooled at all in HT is
hardly criteria for writing off the whole adventure methinks.

> <<the heavyweights of academia don't want to be told that they have spent
> their careers in ignorance of some fundamental aspect of the music that they
> profess to have mastered. They will resist, no matter what. >>
>
> Anyone care to respond (...resist) to the anecdote related above?

Thats the funny part... you can put on a show as your story demonstrates... even
to these pianists Ed refers too.. and a suprising amount of times they dont have
a clue... but then if you TELL them... ooooo.... then all of a sudden these same
can get really righteous and condemnative about HT and all its woes....... makes
you wonder for sure.

Really tho, I think this story sort of just goes to prove Ed's whole point. "
Being sensitive to temperament is a learned skill." And like I said earlier...
sure one can go along happily enough in ET or some quasi resemblance... or even
BB's reverse well and most people are going to be happy. I prefer to follow the
road a bit further and check out the scenery tho.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.