Cracked Plate

lbeach@sfu.ca lbeach@sfu.ca
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:15:37 PST

List
I've always wondered if it would even be possible to crack a plate in a well

designed piano by raising the pitch too high.  Would the strongs give way
first?	Is the plate designed to compress under string tension rather than
stretch?  If a plate CAN crack with too much string tension, how many
cents above pitch might this happen-- 100C?  200 C?  Could the plate
crack if too much twist is put on the plate from string tension  (ie.
raising
the treble pitch much higher relative to the bass and tenor pitch)?

Sorry, lots of questions here, but I've sometimes been scared to tune an
archaic beater that's 200C below.  I don't mind the extra money for the
pitch raises, but nothing compensates for my wrecked nerves!

Larry Beach, RPT
Vancouver BC