Bridging the cap

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 08:05:42 -0500

Hi Phil. You would consider recapping bridges for two reasons. First, if the
bridge is cracked/damaged - recapping will fix that. Second, if downbearing
is improper - recapping will change that - it will fix it only if the
soundboard is good also though. I highly recommend doing the Ron N.
examination of the soundboard crown. Stretch a string between ALL ribs to
check crown everywhere on the soundboard.

When you say "better bearing on the bass bridge" - I would imagine you mean
more bearing. Many different philosophies exist on bass bearing, but in
general, most feel that the bass bridge bearing should be less than the long
bridge. Some well-respected rebuilders use only a hair (wire just kisses the
bridge) of downbearing on the bass bridge - so maybe your bass bridge is
even overloaded!

I kinda doubt this piano is worth putting much money into. The owner would
likely get the biggest bang for the buck by restringing the bass and new
hammers (have the old ones been filed too much?). But if they want to go
further - hey, don't stop them! Restring! If the downbearing is acceptable
(and a piano like this one has a much broader range of acceptability than a
performance piano), just resurface bridge tops and reset bridge pins in
epoxy and restring. I have done that to several low-end pianos and the
customers have been thrilled with them. I had David Sanderson rescale the
piano and make the bass strings. All worked out very, very well. Although, I
must say, that now that I have recapped a bridge, I see that it is not
really all that hard - but simply resurfacing and renotching is definately
easier and faster.

Good Luck!

Terry Farrell