Bridging the cap

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 08:45:39 -0500

The propose of the bridge, soundboard assembly is to transform vibration
into audible sound.  A simple test to determine if this is possible on
any one piano is to put a vibrating tuning fork on a bridge location.
If you get sound there is potential.  Everything else is essentially
good wood working skills and mechanics.  It is more likely you can get
decent sound out of a new set of bass strings because they have the mass
to move the bridge.  As to the quality of that sound, that is an
entirely different issue.

You could have too much bear but that is correctable when you reset the
bridge.

I like to use A5 as my sustain test note.  I want to hear a minimum of
12 seconds sustain from a medium hard blow, dampers on the strings.

Have a great weekend.

		Newton