Temperament, A pianist responds

Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:27:33 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 14, 2001 12:35 AM
Subject: Re: Temperament, A pianist responds

> > I didn't say intended, I was arguing against those who say that his work
cannot be legitimately played on modern instruments.

> I dont believe anyone did say that.

I was responding to Stephen's statement that Beethoven's music played on a
modern instrument amounts to a transcription.  I think that is a bit
dogmatic implies a lack of legitimacy.  I think I understand what Stephen
was getting at.

>Getting to Beethovens, or anyone elses musical heart simply means >looking
at his life and music in as much the same context as he did. >In this sense
it is "correct" or "proper" to play his music on >instruments of his time,
>That says in itself nothing about whether or not any particular music >can
be legitimately played on modern instruments.

I would agree with that, but that is not what I felt was being represented.

> It seems to me that there is far more resistance on the part of those
>advocating the use of modern instruments to the "legitimacy" of >playing
period music on period instruments and temperaments... then >the other way
around.

I have never heard anybody express resistance or argue against the
legitimacy of playing period music on period instruments with period
temperaments.   If anything, I see a strong movement toward this type of
performance and I think it is a positive thing.  I am a strong advocate of
returning to the source to rethink and reevaluate in all things.

David Love