Bridging the cap

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 10:00:14 EST

mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I have done refurbishings on a couple family heirloom spinets for $2,000+ -
> refinish, refurbish action, etc. - make 'em look like new and play as good
>

>From my point of view, and perhaps there are others who have 20 plus years
experience, when I find a piano such as an "heirloom" spinet, or Phil's
Howard grand, I can't, in good conscious, recommend the customer spend the
money I would need to charge to refurbish the piano. $2000 to refinish,
restore the action, tune, regulate, etc., is just not enough. Maybe Terry can
afford to do it for that price, but I can't.  By the same token, to do what
Phil wants to do to that Howard will be in the $12,000 - $15,000 range. Maybe
he can do it for much less, but I'm sorry, I personally can't justify
charging that kind of money on that kind of instrument.

There have been many times when I've turned down a job because I couldn't
justify charging what it would take to "fix" the piano. But then found out
later that the customer found someone who charged less, and made the customer
happy. Perhaps what I should do in the future, instead of just turning down
project like that, is find younger, less experienced technicians, but who do
admirable work, to take on refurbishing these old relics. It give them the
experience and money they need, and frees up my time to take on other project
that I feel justified taking money for. Does that sound kind of "uppity?" Or
are there other out there who feel the same say?

Wim