Cracked plate

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 09:52:41 +0000

At 8:03 PM -0500 12/14/01, Farrell wrote:
>It is a model A1 and is about 180 cm. Does that help? Thanks.

I've never heard of a bad plate on this model.  The A1 is quite rare
and ran for only a short while.  It replaced the A, which had only 85
notes.  I've a feeling it's also 6'2" rather than 6"0".  You ought to
have no trouble with it and it should come up well.

One small detail about Bechsteins of this period.  The Herrburger
damper action has the damper rail centred a long way from the damper
bodies, so there is a lot of friction between the felts and the rail.
Already the Bechstein forte pedal is clunky because of a high
leverage, so I reckon it's always worth modifying the damper lever
assembly to get the rail and the bodies concentric.

Choose hammers carefully with the extreme treble in mind and spend
plenty of time getting the top just right.  The top has a tendency to
scream if you're not careful.

JD

PS.  Terry, could you please avoid quoting the whole of other
people's messages when you reply.  It can turn a three line message
into 9 or 10K.