Bridging the cap?/ Restoration feasibility

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 20:21:01 EST

In a message dated 12/15/2001 7:13:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

> Subj:Re: Bridging the cap
> Date:12/15/2001 7:13:40 AM Pacific Standard Time
> From:    Wimblees@AOL.COM
> Sender:    owner-pianotech@ptg.org
> To:    pianotech@ptg.org
>

> In a message dated 12/15/01 1:49:51 PM !!!First Boot!!!,
> mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
>

> >> I have done refurbishings on a couple family heirloom spinets for $2,000+
>> - refinish, refurbish action, etc. - make 'em look like new and play as
>>
>    Wim Blees writes
> From my point of view, and perhaps there are others who have 20 plus years
> experience, when I find a piano such as an "heirloom" spinet, or Phil's
> Howard grand, I can't, in good conscious, recommend the customer spend the
> money I would need to charge to refurbish the piano. $2000 to refinish,
> restore the action, tune, regulate, etc., is just not enough. Maybe Terry
> can afford to do it for that price, but I can't.  By the same token, to do
> what Phil wants to do to that Howard will be in the $12,000 - $15,000
> range. Maybe he can do it for much less, but I'm sorry, I personally can't
> justify charging that kind of money on that kind of instrument.

   Wim
    YOU DON'T HAVE TO JUSTIFY IT THE CLIENT DOES.
             You are operating  on really  good ethics and intentions (here
it comes) BUT whereas I approach potential projects as you do there are cases
where it is not my business to tell the client how to spend their money.
  I can advise them yes. If they understand that the outcome will be less
than might be desired with no guarantees and they want to finish and string
grandmas Betsy Ross spinet then the decision is whether we want to take on
such a job or refer it. I may think it's dumb to do so  but my opinion
doesn't count unless they like it.
   I recently  did a  very complete remanufacture on a 1905  ornate upright.
Originally well made but completely dilapidated. I explained the realties as
to worth and investment as you previously stated.  If the outcome can be
assured and the client is not hung up on the investment argument, which Terry
was talking about earlier), then A decision can be made. Hey you can fix any
thing if you invest enough time and money.
    In this case the client got full belly package,case and veneer
reconstruction , re- finish and new keys with ivory. Her beloved  Victorian
upright and child hood friend restored. Don't sell emotional attachment down
the river. What's the piano worth now? who cares if she doesn't and she got a
really great outcome.  Value is ascribed in different ways by us all.
    My point is that  there are individual situations where the client will
want to proceed after all our usual initial warnings of lack of financial
feasibility, tonal outcomes and other prudent counsel.
  It is our job to give good counsel but it really is the clients right to
spend there money how they will . If we don't wish to take in a certain job
that's our free choice. I hope you can see where I,m coming from.
  My Two Cents worth-Dale Erwin