Cracked plate

Barrie Heaton piano@a440.co.uk
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 15:15:36 +0000

In message <01c901c1863d$6e185520$e7f2a118@tampabay.rr.com>, Farrell
<mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> writes
>Could you please clarify "...rocked on the pillar bolts 3 turns down and the
>plate is flat...". Do you mean that you unscrewed the plate from the rim and
>pinblock and it bowed up around the edges such that the plate rested on the
>nose bolts - and the amount of bowing up around the perimeter was about 3
>turns of the perimeter screws? Am I understanding this correctly?

Yip you have got it in one.

>And then
>you go further to suggest that this imbalance should be returned to the
>system upon plate re-installation?

Well if that is what the manufacture intended then I think it should

>Have others observed this? Thanks.

Other UK tuners have agreed that when reinstalling the plate adjustments
have to be made to get the plate to lay flat  However, none who i have
spoke to have turned the pillar bolts back up - too risky

Barrie,

--
Barrie Heaton      PGP key on request           http://www.a440.co.uk/
AcryliKey Ivory Repair System UK ©              http://www.acrylikey.co.uk/