Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 17:42:35 -0600

>And there is the profound difference between us.  I do NOT see a
>string physically moving and rocking a bridge and driving the board
>as a solenoid drives a cardboard cone.  I contested the analogy from
>the very beginning and do so now.
>
>Did I ever say the soundboard does not move?  That would indeed be an
>odd statement. Did I ever say the bridge does not move?  Since the
>bridge is glued and screwed to a flexing soundboard, that would also
>have been a pretty tricky position to maintain.  I said neither.

Then I fail utterly to see how the soundboard can move without the bridge
moving, and indeed the whole purpose of this.

>What I do suggest is that nothing moves at all until those vibrations
>or molecular disturbances or compression waves cross the glue line
>into the soundboard.  At that moment, things get a-movin' an
>a-shakin'.
>
>JD

Which seems to be unprovable one way or the other, and is of what
consequence  to the workings of the soundboard anyway?

Ron N