Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 01:10:37 +0000

At 11:28 PM +0100 12/16/01, Richard Brekne wrote:

>John Delacour wrote:
>>....If the solenoid of a speaker is jammed, no sound at all will be
>>emitted from the cone.  The two cases are completely different.
>
>Touche'. In otherwords.... the diaphram analogy is far from adequate to fully
>describe all of the sound producing elements of the soundboard ??.

As another illustration of what I've been saying about the bridge, we
might hark back to the Kundt experiment that you, Richard, drew our
attention to during the Great Compression Wave Debate.

You will recall that a thick metal rod was clamped firmly at its mid
point and made to vibrate longitudinally by means of a resin-covered
chamois leather pulled along its first half.  At the end of the
second half was fixed a disk which fitted quite closely, like a
piston, in a long air-filled glass tube.  The compression wave
travelled along the rod and caused the disk to set up a compression
wave in the air whose length could be measured using a scattering of
cork granules, etc.

The rod is firmly clamped and rigid; it cannot move longitudinally
and yet it can carry a compression wave thoughout its length and
excite vibrations at the same frequency in the disk, to which it is
attached at a right angle, just as the bridge is attached to the
soundboard.  The disk creates a compression wave in the air in the
tube by its _transverse_ vibrations, just as our soundboard does.
Thus a compression wave in a static body is converted into more or
less complex transverse vibrations of a flat body, whether the disk
or the soundboard.

In the case of the bridge/soundboard pair, the bridge is "clamped"
only in so far as it is held firmly in equilibrium between two equal
and opposite forces.  The bridge is the locus of the points where
these forces oppose each other and is roughly speaking at a location
where the system is the most flexible, a good distance from the rigid
fixings of the perimeter.  The tranverse movements induced in the
board disturb this equilibrium and the whole structure of board, bars
and bridges etc. is set in vibration of a complex nature.

I'm not handing this out as gospel, but merely as the very simplified
view that I currently have of the way things work, which seems to be
logical.  I'd very much appreciate any educated comments on this view
from the more qualified.

JD