epoxy repair

MBrat70179@AOL.COM MBrat70179@AOL.COM
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 21:18:40 EST

I do a lot of poly repairs, and my advise is find someone else to do it for
you.  A good way to learn is to schedule the pro to do the repair when you
can be there.  Ask a lot of questions.

Scuffs and scratches are easy to repair on most pianos.  I do a lot of work
on Samick products.  They have a very thick finish that can handle most light
scuffs and scratches.  I have found that on the new Baldwin poly finished you
cannot do this.  The finish is so thin even light sanding goes through to the
primer coat.  Leaving a gray "halo" that is next to impossible to hide.

Be careful on the the thicker finished too.  If you get too agressive, and
don't feather the sanding you leave a conspicuous (sp?) "wave" when viewed in
the light at an angle.

I could go on for days on the do's and don'ts of poly touch-up.  Remember
equipment and experience are your best friends.  If you don't have either,
don't even think about practicing on an instrument that is not your own.

My advice
Mike Bratcher