Temperament, is there a lutanist in the house?

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 23:29:57 -0800

Re: equal temperament on fretted instruments ---

I haven't taken the time to look up lute tunings, but assuming they are
like viols, they will have a variety of intervals between the strings?

I only have a (little) experience with a bass (not double bass) viol: it is
tuned in fourths, with one major third thrown in to be perverse.

Assuming that the instrument is built accurately, so that a fret going
straight across the neck will yield the same change in pitch on all
strings, it is apparent that if one were to place the frets so that some
strings would produce a noticeably non-equal temperament, each string would
produce this  temperament in a different key from the others, and the
strings spaced a third apart would produce quite vivid differences in
temperament, in the same register, at that.

On the other hand, if one were to slant the fret, it would just mean that
different strings would produce slightly inaccurate intervals, in a fairly
chaotic fashion.

Hence, ET was probably not chosen for any theoretical devotion to ET, but
as simply the only really practical alternative to a very messy anarchy of
keys. Of course, if the frets were PRETTY NEAR to ET, the results would be
just fine, as the AWFULLY CLOSE TO ET historical temperaments cause few
adverse reactions from musicians. We all have considerable tolerance,
though possibly the amount of tolerance varies from person to person;
still, anything within our area of accommodation is acceptable enough that
other questions such as timbre, etc., matter far more to us.

Actually, I think piano tuning moved toward ET for the same sort of
accommodation: as music grew more chromatic, having all keys sort of all
right became more valuable than having some really all right and others
pretty awful.

No need for fundamentalism in this issue, IMHO. In the end, most practicing
musicians are pragmatists.

Susan Kline