Bridging the cap

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:13:24 EST

In a message dated 12/17/01 2:45:07 PM Central Standard Time,
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

> On the other hand, Wim, I was involved in the redesign and remanufacture of
> a 4' 8" or so Howard grand a couple of years back. I did the redesign work
> for the rebuilder in Portland, Oregon. I don't know what the final tab on
> the job was, but I'm sure it was upwards of $18,000 to $20,000. The piano
> performs very nicely, its size notwithstanding. I used it as the prop piano
> for my Oregon Day presentation. The consensus was that the piano was a
> satisfactory musical instrument, even through most of the bass.
>
> By your standard the piano wasn't worth that much but the customer is
> delighted with the piano and in their view the money was well spent. So who
> is 'right?' I certainly wasn't embarrassed in providing my services. The
> rebuilder was open and honest with the owners of the piano about cost and
> 'value.' But their concept of value differed from our. Does that make them
> wrong? Did the rebuilder somehow swindle the customer?
>
> It is not the rebuilder who has to justify charging X amount of money on
> any particular job. It is the customer who has to justify spending it.
>
> Del

Del

I think I've expressed my opinion on this before. If the customer wants to
spend that kind of money, after they have been told everything, then there is
nothing wrong with it. Who wouldn't turn down that kind of money. It is
obvious that the work you did is far beyond what the "average" rebuilder is
capable of. But to charge even half that much to replace the pin block and
stings, and refinish the piano, and tell the customer the piano will be "good
as new," just to get the money, is wrong.

Wim