Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 07:36:07 +0000

At 12:42 AM -0500 12/19/01, Greg Newell wrote:
>John, you have determined that there are 2 distinctly different
>sounds derived from striking the top or the side of a bridge. Can
>this be duplicated outside the piano? Is this done in some way while
>the piano is still strung?

The difference is vivid whether or not the piano is strung.  I
originallly tried it on an unstrung Steinway grand.  I have just
tried it on a strung upright.

>Can this be repeated with a piece of maple (or other bridge material

I have only a 4ft piece of 2 x 1 maple to hand with the wide face
tangential to the annual rings.  There is a very slight difference in
the timbre which I would put down to the difference in stiffness etc.
of the two planes.  If the maple were 1" square with the rings
running diagonally, I'd expect the sound to be the same.

JD