birdcage

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:06:20 -0800

Hi list,

Looked at a "Mozart" birdcage piano today, and other than needing a good
cleaning, everything seemed to be intact and in pretty decent shape, for its
age, which I estimate at about 100 years. The Atlas does not correspond to
the four digit serial number, which is 3748, so the age is a guess. Anyway,
my tuning hammer fits the pins pretty good, and the action pulls away easily
in order to strip mute the strings. It is approx. 175 cents flat, and the
customer understands the real possibility of MANY broken strings, even if
the pitch is not FULLY restored to A440. There is some mold on the base of
shanks, and here and there, and a full cleaning is in order. the key board
is fine, and everthing else seems ok. I will probably subcontract this job
out, as i have never worked on or tuned a birdcage before...not that i would
never work on one, but I just think i'd rather give it to a tech with plenty
of birdcage experience. I'm busy enough right now as it is.
Question: this piano has been covered and stored in a garage for quite some
time, and a variety of spiders (no widows that i could see) have made it
their home, so i wondered if it would be safe for the piano to use a
"fogger" placed in the base, activated and then put the kick board back? I
know this would surely kill all the little creepy-crawlies, but would it
damage the piano? I told the customer i would get back to her on that. Any
advice on tnis? thanks!

Terry