Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 08:21:38 +0000

At 10:35 PM -0600 12/19/01, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>Sorry John, but I have one more question I forgot to add to that last post.
>
>When these compression waves supposedly travel down through the bridge to
>the soundboard, moving the board before the bridge moves, how does this
>manage to happen with the board attached to the bridge at exactly the spot
>that these waves are supposed to move the board? I'd love to know the
>mechanics behind this.

For the same reason that the wine glass does not shatter the moment
the lady sings the top C but a moment afterwards.  The glass is
unaffected while the wave is travelling towards it.  Surely this is
obvious.

JD