Bird-Cages/Fogger/Snide remarks

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:07:45 -0800

>     I would ,but it's in my backup kit in the car and I've already admitted
>to being lazy. Besides my underlying bias against these pretty little things
>would be challenged by the logical solution you propose.  Tom Driscoll

It's been awhile since I've tuned a birdcage, but my usual system was to
tip out the action, remove the soft pedal rail, which lifts out
easily, insert my muting strip in the middle register, below the
hammer line, replace action, and tune everything not muted by the strip.

Once everything else had been tuned, I would tip out the action,
remove the whole muting strip at once (ping-ping-ping-ping-ping),
replace the action, and then tune the side strings by reaching
through with a Papp's mute.

Once finished, it's easy enough to replace the muting rail.

These pianos usually aren't tuned often enough to assure stability,
even if they are in good enough condition. I never promised to make
a good, stable tuning. I just would say it would probably be a lot
better than it started, but no guarantees. Since so few people
will even look at the things, this usually set well enough with
the owners.