Bird-Cages/Fogger/Snide remarks

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 17:17:04 -0500

Hey Joe. Ease up a little! Are you referring to my post to Terry suggesting
that he give it a go but to expect a bad experience?

I have only worked on one birdcage, and have inspected four or five others.
The several I inspected, the owners quickly realized the futility of even
trying to tune them. It's pretty clear that these were not terribly good
pianos 120 years ago when they were made. They didn't improve much over the
last 120 years. I would rather work on 20 typical old uprights than one
birdcage. The ones I have seen have been absolutely horrid little pianos.

I'm not trying to verbally degrade them for no reason, but rather just
sharing my observations. If you have had different experiences, please share
them with us. I would certainly be interested in hearing about the
overdamper design origin.

Boy, I guess me or someone really struck a nerve of yours. I'm sorry. I
certainly did not mean to rile you or anyone else. I was just trying to coax
Terry into taking a stab at his first one.

Would I put a "Fogger" in a Steinway K52? Not likely. It might cost too
much. If I thought I could sell it for some cash and not ever have to
service it, I would sell it. If I thought I could not get much for it, I
might consider detonating a stick of dynamite in it.

All in good humor Joe. Take care.

Terry Farrell