Bird-Cages/Fogger/Snide remarks

Fri, 21 Dec 2001 00:21:30 +0100

Patrick C Poulson wrote:

> Joe: I have no inherent prejudice against birdcage pianos.  Its just that
> 99.9% of the ones that I have seen are in absolutely unusable condition, and
> need complete rebuilding, if such a thing is possible.

Agreed,....... but it is of course perfectly possible to rebuild them.

> When I start
> discussing the extent and cost of the work that would make their piano
> useable, the owners start getting that glazed-eye look that tells me that
> there's no point in proceeding.

Which of course is the catch.... is it worth the time and effort and money
neccessary to fix them ?

> The really sad part is that frequently they
> bought the thing at an auction for a ridiculous amount of money.  Your
> experience must be different. I would be interested in hearing and seeing
> one restored, but as yet I have not seen one or had a client who was
> remotely interested in having theirs restored.

I've done a couple that were in decent shape to begin with... completely did the
action, and new strings, brushed up termination points and redressing the bridge
notching with new bridge pins epoxied into place. (I got as close to origional
string material as is possible these days). Sounded quite nice really. Still..
too much money for my tastes.... the customer was enthralled tho.

> Patrick Poulson, RPT

-
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.