Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 23:03:42 -0600

>>When these compression waves supposedly travel down through the bridge to
>>the soundboard, moving the board before the bridge moves, how does this
>>manage to happen with the board attached to the bridge at exactly the spot
>>that these waves are supposed to move the board? I'd love to know the
>>mechanics behind this.
>
>For the same reason that the wine glass does not shatter the moment
>the lady sings the top C but a moment afterwards.  The glass is
>unaffected while the wave is travelling towards it.  Surely this is
>obvious.
>
>JD

Hardly the same thing, as is surely at least as obvious. This still leaves
the perpetually unanswered question of how minute a bridge movement is no
movement at all. I had presumed that your post immediately following this
one would clear that up for me and put this increasingly tedious exercise
to rest, but it hasn't happened. I would like an answer to this please,
since it is the basis of your stand in this discussion.

Ron N